Thursday, October 30, 2014

Little Girl's Hairdos

There is a fine line between vanity and, for lack of a better words, letting yourself go, just not caring, frumpy, laziness (all these latter terms I am guilty of more often than not btw).  I believe that girls need to know they are beautiful and not in a vain way.

 It breaks my heart when I see a mom with everything in place... hair, make-up, clothing, jewelry... and her little girl didn't even get her hair combed.  I don't know, but I can not help wonder if the message we are giving our girls in this situation is that they are not important.  Little (and big) girls need to know they are beautiful and vitally important to us.

I know there are insane days where there isn't time to get everyone dolled up but...  let me say it this way.  A few months ago I was at the library and I saw a little girl with her hair darling.  I complimented the mom.  Embarrassed she said "Just don't look at me.  I put a hat on to hide my undone hair." I told her that I admire her for doing her little girl's hair before her own.  If a person only has time to do one, I much prefer to see the child's hair done and the mom's in a hat.

Please forgive the soapbox.  Yes, I can not judge I do not know the full story.  I just feel sad that is all.

Needless to say doing my little girl hair is a HUGE priority for me.  It may be because I had 3 boys first and for a long time did not think I would ever have a chance to dress up a little girl.  It may be because she has the hair I always wanted.  It may be because I am, and have always been, a girly girl (I am finally not ashamed to admit that).  All the above are true but most of all I want her to know she is precious and beautiful to me.

Now that I have made a short post LONG.  I want to share with you from time to time hair styles I do/create on my sweetie (she refers to herself and all children as that, it works for me).

Here are the "tools" I usedThe white bottle with the green label is detangler.  I really like Johnson & Johnson's brand or good old Equate.  Other brands make my Sweetie's hair look greasy. The green bottle is hair gel, this is particular for curly hair.  The tall spray bottle is water, I use water every time I do her hair.


Here are pictures that show how I did it...











 People ask me ALL the time, how I get her to sit still.  Did you notice the computer screen?  Yea, it is called Netflix, YouTube, pbskids.org, and so forth.  I am surprised people think it is so hard.  Every morning my Sweetie asks me, "Can I watch Daniel Tiger and you do my hair?"


No comments:

Post a Comment